If you need financial assistance to complete your education there are many resources available. One avenue to explore is the MyCAA approved online programs such as MyCAA Scholarship Program.
MyCAA is a government-funded program that offers grants to the spouses of active-duty military service members for their education.
What is MyCAA Approved Online Programs?
MyCAA stands for My Career Advancement Account Scholarship program, which was formed in 2009 as an incentive for new recruits. The MyCAA helps support military families with the cost of their education.
Students do not need to compete for MyCAA grants. It is not part of the GI Bill it is a separate workforce program managed by the US Department of Defense.
Moreover, MyCAA provides financial assistance to military spouses for licenses, certifications, or associate degrees so that they can pursue career opportunities.
“MyCAA provides crucial tuition assistance to support spouses in identifying a career path in which they can grow and advance.”
–Lee Kelley, director of Military Community Support Programs
Am I Eligible for MyCAA Approved Online Programs?
The MyCAA scholarship program is available to military spouses who have completed high school or earned a GED. The enlisted member must be in active-duty service in the Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy, National Guard.
A reserve member under Title 10 orders in pay grades E-1 through E-5, O-1 through O-2, or W-1 through W-2., is eligible.
In addition, the service member must be more than six months away from separation or retirement from the military.
Finally, if the active military personal gets promoted the spouse remains eligible is they were enrolled prior to the promotion.
What are MyCAA ScholarshipBenefits?
The scholarship provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance to eligible spouses with an annual cap of $2,000.
Cap waivers are available annually for licensure and certification programs if the upfront tuition cost exceeds $2,000, up to the maximum education benefit of $4,000.
A study of the program conducted by the RAND Corporation showed that when this tuition assistance was taken advantage of by a military spouse, retention of the sponsor was more likely.
The enlisted service person remained in the military for an average of six more years after the spouse used the benefits.
How to Apply for MyCAA
To apply for MyCAA, the first step is to contact a Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) coach at 1-800-342-9647. SECO coaches help spouses to explore career interests and opportunities through career assessments, portable career statistics, and earning potential metrics.
Coaches help on how to pay for training, what programs are available to them, and how to proceed with licensing. Additionally, they help to determine flexible work options, how to plan for relocation, and job search techniques.
You will need a Education and Training Plan (ETP) which is a detailed summary of the courses that you will take.
MyCAA online programs of study at SCI to prepare for portable career fields include:
- Medical Billing and Coding – Find work in hospitals, doctor’s offices, dentist’s offices, lawyer’s offices and insurance agencies. Some in this field work from home. Coursework includes medical billing, medical coding, medical terminology, electronic health records, medical practice management, and office procedures.
- Business Accounting Specialist – Those with accounting and bookkeeping skills are in demand in all types of businesses as well as governmental offices, medical offices, schools, and universities. Required coursework includes computerized accounting, bookkeeping, business reporting, payroll, and customer service.
- Computer Support Specialist – Training in computer support qualifies graduates for employment as desktop support technicians, software installers, office help desk specialists, and IT support technicians. Students receive training in computer hardware, operating systems, keyboarding, networking, and cyber security.
- Business Administration – Those with training in business administration manage the day-to-day operations of a business office including maintaining finances and marketing services or products. Coursework includes business communication, business law, management principles, financial management, business operations, marketing and sales.
- Pharmacy Technician– Pharmacy technicians find employment in hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies, and nursing homes. Training covers human anatomy and physiology, math for pharmacy technicians, medical terminology, diseases of the human body, and pharmacy management.
- Associate Degree in Management – An associate degree of applied science in management prepares a student for a job as a supervisor, office manager, or facilities manager. The Associate Degree is a step toward earning a bachelor’s degree in management. The program includes courses in accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, business reporting, business communication, databases, keyboarding, and more. Students can study classical subjects like English, math, biology, and sociology.
Learn More About the MyCAA Approved Online Programs
Everyone needs purpose and meaning in their lives and this is a great benefit for the enlisted military person.
Being able to have the freedom to find meaningful work is very important for the spouse’s and the family’s well-being.
Blog Disclaimer: Information stated in this blog is for general information purposes only. SCItexas.edu does not assume or guarantee income earning potential or salary expectations based on the programs offered at Southern Careers Institute. Career and program information stated in this blog does not guarantee that programs and specifics are offered at Southern Careers Institute.
This article was published on: 05/6/20 9:30 AM