Take the first step towards a career with a strong, competitive job market.
The electrical technician program at SCI provides hands-on instruction on installation, operation, maintenance and repair of electrical systems for both residential and commercial properties. Our training provides the hands-on training which allows you to be more comfortable in the trade and competitive in the job market. Students can learn about:
- The operation, installation, maintenance and repair of electronics and electrical wiring
- Handling electrical distribution panels, instrumentation, DC/AC motors and controls, wiring, and power transmissions
- Safety skills, generating estimations, inspections and applicable codes, and regulations
There are required hours of on-the-job training beyond the completion of this program that are necessary to apply for Texas state licensing. There are also different levels you can achieve by accumulating hours of on-the-job training and passing exams. You can become a:
- Residential Wireman: 4,000 hours of supervised training and passing the exam
- Journeyman or Journeyperson Electrician: 8,000 hours under the direction of a Master Electrician and passing the required exam
- Master Electrician: Journeyman license for at least 2 years, accumulating 12,000 hours under a licensed Master Electrician and passing the exam
SCI electrical technician graduates have the opportunity to find entry-level employment working under a master electrician as wiring installers or as technicians servicing electrical systems in a number of electrical and related trades in both residential and commercial environments.
Want to learn more about how National Certifications might help you in today’s job market?