There’s a Big Future in Driving Big Rigs
Prepare for your CDL Class A in as little as 4 weeks! Hands-on, over-the-road driving training prepares you to hit the road in a standard sleeper cab tractor with a 53’ trailer.
As a truck driver, you’ll make your own schedule—selecting your interstate and intrastate driving jobs.
Graduate our comprehensive CDL training program with the necessary skills to begin driving a truck professionally. Expert truck driving school instructors at our San Antonio North and Austin campuses provide both the hands-on training and the classroom preparation needed to properly and safely operate a truck and obtain your Class A CDL license.
Checklist for Securing Your CDL Class A License
- Verify CDL eligibility in Texas
- Get your DOT physical and complete the CDL Medical Certification Requirement
- Study for the Texas Commercial Learner’s Permit for FREE at CDLCollege.com
- Secure your Training Permit
- Attend SCI’s CMVO Training School in San Antonio, Austin, or Pharr
- Gather the necessary documentation and complete the CDL Application
- Schedule and pass the CDL skills and driver tests
Get Your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A in the State of Texas
Southern Careers Institute Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator training program helps prepare you to take the following licensing exams while earning up to 11 Skill Badges demonstrating the skills employers are looking for.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A*
- Texas Commercial Learner’s Permit*
Students must have Learners Permit prior to starting CMV101 – Unit 2.
*Students pay the Texas Department of Public Safety directly.
How Much Can You Make as a Truck Driver in Texas?
Drivers who recently received their CDL license in Texas can expect a starting salary of around $25,639.1 Based on growth and turnover, we expect nearly 4,000 heavy and tractor-trailer truck driver job openings this year.2
Looking for a trucking job? Make your own schedule with our favorite truck driving job board at garysjobboard.com.
Earning Your CDL Class A to Qualify for These Trucking Jobs
- CDL Driver
- CDL Route Driver
- Class A Driver
- Delivery Driver
- Fuel Truck Driver
- Heavy-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Interstate Truck Driver
- Intrastate Truck Driver
- Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Truck Driver
SCI grads have access to our career services team. This team helps you prepare your resume and develop your interview skills, while networks with local employers on your behalf to help you become an interstate & intrastate truck driver.
SCI Students Have Gone on to Drive for Companies Like:
- Covenant Transport
Southern Careers Institute does not guarantee employment.
CDL Training in Texas — Your Route to a Secure Future
The SCI commercial motor vehicle operator program prepares graduates to sit for the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL Class A) and start a career as a professional truck driver. Students will gain a solid foundation with hands-on, over-the-road driver training. You’ll learn skills like:
- Basic and Advance Operation
- Backing, Turning, Hooking/Unhooking
- Vehicle Systems and Reporting
- Safety Procedures and Regulations
- Hazard Perception and Emergency Maneuvers
- Handling Cargo and Environmental Compliance
The program follows a flexible schedule allowing full-time students to complete it in as little as four weeks.
CMV101 – Unit 1: Basic Operation & Control of Commercial Vehicle
Gain a solid foundation of commercial vehicle control systems including dashboard, air brakes, sliding fifth wheel & inspections
CMV101 – Unit 2: Proficiency Development I
Learn the proper operation of a commercial vehicle including hands-on experience on a driving range
CMV101 – Unit 3: Proficiency Development II
Navigate a variety of traffic situations while practicing behind-the-wheel skills & driving safety
CMV101 – Unit 4: Activities, Procedures, Reporting & Systems
Focus on how to properly manage speed, maneuver hazardous materials & emergency situations including extreme conditions
Open Enrollment – Start Anytime! | Training for Your CDL is Affordable
- Pay In Full Options
- Affordable payment plans at 0% interest available for those who qualify
Southern Careers Institute is authorized to grant associate degrees, grant credits toward degrees, and to use certain protected academic terms at the Austin, Texas campus by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
1200 East Anderson Lane
The Commission of the Council on Occupational Education (COE)
has been the accrediting body of Southern Careers Institute for
over 25 years.
7840 Roswell Road, Building 300, Suite #325
Atlanta, GA 30350
Phone (770) 396-3898
Toll Free (800) 917-2081
101 East 15th Street, Rm. 226T
Austin, Texas 78778
Phone (512) 936-3100
- Starting salary is as reported by Emsi, a labor market analytics firm. The salary information is not specific to students or graduates of Southern Careers Institute. Actual outcomes vary based on multiple factors, including prior work experience, geographic location, and other factors specific to the individual. Southern Careers Institute does not guarantee employment, salary level, or career advancement.
- The estimated number of job postings over the past 12 months is provided by Emsi, a labor market analytics firm. This data may not reflect your local market conditions. Further, market conditions are dynamic and can change. This data is not intended to predict the market conditions that will be present when you graduate from your program.
Want to learn more about how National Certifications might help you in today’s job market?