Updated on 08/01/2021
Southern Careers Institute Risk Management Group/COVID-19 Working Group and leadership continue following events and public health recommendations surrounding the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). Throughout the past 12-18 months, Southern Careers Institute has increased its learning options to include a hybrid/online teaching and learning environment to help manage the spread of COVID-19, in addition to our in-person offerings.
- Currently, in-person classes and hybrid/online instruction remain available, where applicable.
- Local campuses will continue to remain open. Classroom labs, computer labs, and all other aspects of the campuses remain operational but may have modified schedules that adhere to COVID-19 precautions.
- All campus events, graduations and other large gatherings will be limited, and the institution will provide individual updates per event.
We continue to take an abundance of caution regarding COVID-19. Based on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with information from the State of Texas Governor’s office, we believe this is the most prudent course of action at the current time.
We continue to maintain our enhanced cleaning protocols on campus that include:
- Placement of numerous hand sanitizing stations in each classroom, throughout the campus, and within labs.
- Dedicated hand-washing stations in each medical lab, and one inside for welders.
- Cleaning and sterilizing equipment after each in-person class.
- All labs are cleaned and sterilized by the janitorial staff nightly.
Learning options are as follows:
Lecture classes with no lab component or minimal lab component may be delivered in a hybrid modality. Speak with campus leadership to receive updates about your specific plan.
Lab Classes, Cosmetology, and Trade courses may be a hybrid between Zoom and coming to the campus to complete the lab sections of your class. The lab section assignments may vary based on your campus, but will be similar to the following:
- Each class may be reduced to a lower student count attending live at one time.
Externships are a little more complicated. If you are currently on an externship site and they are continuing to operate, we ask that you attend your site and use preventative measures we have previously described. If your site is closed, we will place you into our virtual simulator to complete your needed hours for graduation. If you have questions about the virtual simulator placement, please reach out to your career services team.
What is Hybrid/Online Teaching? And, How Does it Work?
SCI uses Zoom as our hybrid and virtual collaboration tool. Zoom is a video classroom conferencing system allowing for video lectures, video breakout rooms, screen sharing, group chats, and attendance tracking. Zoom works without any special hardware requirements. You can use it on a cell phone, tablet, or computer. How does it work:
- Each instructor has a unique Zoom Room link sent to your personal email.
- When you click on the link, you will be asked to launch Zoom. If on a phone or tablet you’ll need to download the app.
- Joining the audio portion of class can be done through dialing in with a phone or using the internet as your voice connection. Based on your internet speeds, dialing in on a phone is recommended for proper collaboration.
- Assignments will be sent via school email or Moodle based on your instructor’s preferences.
COVID-19 continues to create new challenges for our community at SCI, the broader community, and the country. We will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation with local, state, and federal public health officials.
In the meantime, please carry on with your work and your studies. Do so with care for yourself and for those around you and continue to adhere to the preventative measures as recommended by public health officials, but do not retreat from your commitment to your education and to the important work you do every day.
Want to learn more about how National Certifications might help you in today’s job market?