Updated on 6/17/2020
Southern Careers Institute Risk Management Group/COVID-19 Working Group and leadership has been following events and public health recommendations surrounding the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Southern Careers Institute has transitioned to a hybrid/online teaching and learning environment to help manage the spread of COVID-19.
- All in-person classes wherever possible have transitioned to hybrid/online instruction.
- The local campuses will remain open. Classroom labs, Computer labs, and all other aspects of the campuses remain operational, but with modified schedules that adhere to COVID-19 precautions.
- All campus events, graduations and other large gatherings over 125 people have been postponed until further notice.
We are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution. Based on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we believe this is the most prudent course of action at the current time.
Classes will be held as follows:
Lecture classes that have no lab component or minimal lab component will be delivered in a hybrid modality
Lab Classes, Cosmetology and Trade courses will be a hybrid between Zoom and coming to the campus to complete the lab sections of your class. The lab section assignments may vary based on your campus, but will be similar to the following:
- Each class will be reduced to around 10 students attending live at one time. If your class is larger than 10, then you will be divided into two groups and will rotate every other day. For example, Group A may attend Monday and Wednesday in-person and Tuesday and Thursday through Zoom and Group B would attend Tuesday and Thursday in-person and Monday and Wednesday through Zoom. Based on Lab time requirements we will add a part day Monday, Friday or Saturday depending on your courses schedule.
Externships are a little more complicated. If you are currently on an externship site and they are continuing to operate, we ask that you attend your site and use preventative measures we have previously described. If your site is closed, we will place you into our virtual simulator to complete your needed hours for graduation. If you have questions about the virtual simulator placement, please reach out to your career services team.
What is Hybrid/Online Teaching and how does it work:
SCI will be using Zoom as our hybrid and virtual collaboration tool. Zoom is a video classroom conferencing system that allows for video lectures, video breakout rooms, screen sharing, group chats, and attendance tracking. Zoom works without any special hardware requirements. You can use it on a cell phone, tablet, or computer. How does it work:
- Each instructor has a unique Zoom Room link that will be sent to your personal email.
- Once you click on the link, you will be asked to launch Zoom. If on a phone or tablet it will ask you to download the app.
- Joining the audio portion of class can be done through dialing in with a phone or use your internet as your voice connection. Based on your internet speeds, dialing in on a phone is recommended for proper collaboration.
- Assignments will be sent via school email or Moodle based on your instructor’s preferences.
This is a new challenge not only for our community at SCI, but for the broader community, and the country. We will continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation with local, state and federal public health officials.
In the meantime, please carry on with your work and your studies. Do so with care for yourself and for those around you and continue to adhere to the preventative measures as recommended by public health officials, but do not retreat from your commitment to your education and to the important work you do every day.
Want to learn more about how National Certifications might help you in today’s job market?