Updated on 06/28/2022
Southern Careers Institute Risk Management Group/COVID-19 Working Group and leadership continue following events and public health recommendations surrounding the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). During the initial phases of the COVID-19 outbreak, Southern Careers Institute increased its learning options to include a hybrid/online teaching and learning environment to help manage the spread of COVID-19. At this time, Southern Careers Institute has returned to in-person offerings and offers the Hybrid/Online learning model in limited situations.
- Currently, in-person classes are operating, with hybrid/online instruction available where applicable.
- Local campuses are open. Classroom labs, computer labs, and all other aspects of the campuses are operational.
- All campus events, graduations and other large gatherings are occurring as normal.
We continue to take cautionary measures regarding COVID-19 based on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with information from the State of Texas Governor’s office, we believe this is the most prudent course of action at the current time.
We continue to maintain cleaning protocols on campus that include:
- Placement of numerous hand sanitizing stations throughout the campus, and within labs.
- Dedicated hand-washing stations in each medical lab, and one inside for welders.
- Cleaning and sterilizing equipment after each in-person class.
- All labs are cleaned and sterilized by the janitorial staff nightly.
- Wearing of face masks is optional.
Learning options are as follows:
Lecture classes with no lab component or minimal lab component may be delivered 100% on-campus in a traditional classroom setting, 100% online, OR via virtual/hybrid learning if the course schedule is as such for any given MOD.
Lab Classes, Cosmetology, and Trade courses will be delivered 100% on-campus in a traditional classroom setting. In the event that a student is a reenter, has taken an LOA or fails a course(s), it is possible that lab OR trades courses will be delivered via a virtual learning platform; with on-ground components for lab objectives. Cosmetology courses will always be 100% on-ground with no virtual modality available.
Externships will be delivered 100% on-ground at the student’s externship site. There will be no online or virtual option for externship courses.
Outbreaks of infectious diseases creates new challenges for our community at SCI, the broader community, and the country, and we will continue to monitor the recommendations from local, state, and federal public health officials.
Please carry on with your work and your studies. Do so with care for yourself and for those around you and continue to adhere to the preventative measures as recommended by public health officials, but do not retreat from your commitment to your education and to the important work you do every day.