Online training courses offer you the flexibility of attending class and completing assignments when it’s convenient for you. You can easily earn a degree while working at your current job, taking care of your family or fulfilling other commitments. While the convenience of an online education can’t be beat, it’s very important to make sure you enroll in a legitimate school. One key aspect to look for is accreditation. Schools that are accredited by state or federal agencies prove that the offered curricula is approved and complete. In Texas, the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) was developed to maintain high standards of quality for educational institutions.
Texas Workforce Commission (TWC)
The purpose of the TWC is to provide services to both employers and job seekers. Ultimately, they want to draw business into the state to enrich the economy. Some of the major functions of the TWC are aimed at developing the workforce by providing childcare to certain populations to enable parents to participate in workforce training, administering unemployment benefits and tax programs, and providing important statistics on occupations and industry shifts within Texas.
As you undergo your search for medical coding schools online, accredited and legitimate, look for the TWC endorsement. Keep in mind that schools do not have to be accredited to be licensed by the TWC. Alternatively, the TWC looks for specific criteria for licensing requirements:
- Know all related laws and rules
- Be prepared for unannounced visits by TWC personnel
- Be financially sound
- Implement school policies and procedures as described in the catalog
- Maintain adequate facilities and equipment
- Offer only programs approved by TWC
- Employ faculty and staff of sound character
- Submit an annual report of student performance outcomes
- Monitor school website for compliance to all guidelines
Schools Accredited by the TWC
- Southern Careers Institute (SCI): The online medical billing and coding program through SCI is fully endorsed by the TWC. This endorsement means you can be sure to receive a quality education, receive federal loans or grants as necessary, be prepared to sit for state and national certifications, and you can transfer earned credits to another school should you decide to take your education further.
While a license by the TWC isn’t required or all medical coding schools online accredited, you know a school is well-founded when they can say they meet all of TWCs rules and regulations. It’s a nice piece of insurance, showing you that the time and effort spent on your education will very likely pay off in an excellent job upon graduation.