Your safety and education are priorities for SCI. Until further notice, we’re offering our classes in a hybrid/online teaching environment.
By submitting this form, I agree that Southern Careers Institute may contact me via email, text message or telephone, including the use of autodialers, regarding its programs and offers. Standard text and/or usage rates may apply.
A Ranking of Medical Schools in Texas by Total Hands-On Training
Although studying to become a professional in health care does involve knowledge of theory, you will be unprepared for a job unless you are able to receive plenty of hands-on training during your time at school. To help you find the right college for you, we have ranked the top medical schools in Texas by the amount of practical training they offer.
6. Everest All the programs at Everest offer hands-on training with instructors who have real-world experience. Study to become a dental assistant, medical administrative assistant, medical assistant, medical insurance billing and coding specialist, or pharmacy technician in one of the eight campuses across Texas in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Arlington, and San Antonio.
5. Fortis Choose from a wide range of programs in the medical field at one of the three Fortis campuses in Texas.
Fortis College, Houston South, offers courses in health information technology, healthcare management, medical assisting, medical billing and coding, sterile processing, and surgical technology.
At Fortis Institute, Houston North, you can study dental assisting, health information technology, healthcare management, medical assisting, medical billing and coding, sterile processing, or surgical technology.
The Grand Prairie campus offers programs in medical assisting, medical billing and coding, nurse aide, radiologic technology, sterile processing, and vocational nursing.
At any of the three, you will receive practical training in preparation for a career as soon as you finish your schooling.
4. Remington College Remington College has four campuses in Texas: Dallas (Garland), Fort Worth, Houston Southeast, and North Houston. All offer diplomas in medical assisting, medical assisting with X-ray tech (limited scope), medical billing and coding, and pharmacy tech. One of the best options for hands-on training is the medical assisting program, as, provided you maintain a minimum GPA, you will be able to take part in an externship.
3. ITT Technical Institute The Breckinridge School of Nursing at the Richardson (Dallas) campus offers students a 7-Quarter Associate of Applied Science degree program in medical assisting and administration and a 9-Quarter Associate of Applied Science degree program in nursing. ITT Technical Institute places an emphasis on teaching practical skills that graduates can use in the workplace. For instance, students spend a considerable portion of their programs in the lab, where they have the chance to apply the knowledge gained in the classroom.
2. UEI College UEI College, Houston, specializes in hands-on training by creating real-world simulations for students to practice basic medical procedures, patient care, and administrative tasks. Prepare for a lucrative career with either the medical assistant technician, medical front office and billing, or health services administration program.
1. Southern Careers Institute At Southern Careers Institute, you will have the chance to learn in the lab as well as the classroom. Plus, all programs are designed with employers in mind and some even include externships. A course at SCI is the only training you will need for a job in a medical setting — study to become a medical assistant, medical billing and coding specialist, medical office specialist, or pharmacy technician in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, or San Antonio. When checking out medical schools in Texas, make sure to find out the specifics of hands-on training you will receive. By graduating with practical experience in your field, you increase your chances of finding a well-paid position immediately.
"Just finished school for welding. Had the best experience with Southern Careers Institute, and had a lot of fun with my buddies. Already working at SpaceX. SCI is the place to be guys! Don't wait any longer, sign up!”
Enrique H. Welding
"I recently achieved my dream of becoming a CDL driver, passing my CDL exams at our local DMV in Edinburg. Mr. Gonzalez was such a great instructor, even though it was raining I passed with flying colors!”
Juan L. Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator
“I made a complete career change when I started my training at Southern Careers Institute. I needed a stable career to continue providing for my growing family. SCI provided me with the medical terminology and know how that I needed to understand and acquire a career in the medical field. SCI taught me that it doesn’t matter where you are in life right now; you always have room to advance and learn.”
Denise S. Medical Assistant
“I am extremely grateful for the assistance I received from SCI’s Career Services team. I enjoy where I work and what I do. SCI has helped me succeed in life by getting me the necessary education and by making me a stronger and more confident person.”
“Once I graduated from SCI, I had a sense of accomplishment that helped me through the job search process. SCI provided me with the opportunity to brush up on my skills, extend my accounting knowledge, and they boosted my self-confidence. I went to work two days after my last day of school.”
Annette D. Business Accounting
“When my youngest child graduated from high school, I told my husband that it was my time. I went back to school to change careers after spending 37 years in the business field. At SCI, the instructors are professional, and they care about what they are teaching you, as well as expect you to give 100% in return. I had problems understanding how to draw in syringes and give injections. I requested extra help from a knowledgeable instructor, and I was able to receive one-on-one training. Today, I draw injections for approximately 100 patients each week. I am very confident in what I’ve learned. SCI has given me the chance to do what I always wanted to do. Thank you for my education. I am doing wonderful.”
Bonnie M Medical Assistant
“I am now a certified Lab Tech. SCI helped me get an externship, and I came out with a job. After my little sister had cancer, I knew I wanted a career in the medical field that allowed me to help others. I am happy about what I do.”
Sidney B Medical Assistant
“The best place ever!! Ms.Tonia rocks she is the best teacher… I love going to school my time there is amazing.”
“Southern Careers went beyond my expectations. Very impressed. The assistance I got from Career Services is truly amazing. They really went out of their way to get me placed. They really care and I am grateful to all of them.”
“Southern Careers Institute totally surpassed my expectations. Once I finished school, the Career Services team helped me find a job. I would tell anyone thinking about starting career training that you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. I wish I would have started my training sooner.”
* Past students’ outcomes, starting salaries, or job prospects are not indictive of the possible job outcomes for future and current students. SCI does not guarantee employment or a starting salary upon graduation, completion, or withdrawal from SCI.