Wondering which cosmetology school is right for you in Corpus Christi? Maybe you’ve been practicing cutting, trimming and coloring for years on friends and family and you’re wondering if attending cosmetology school will be worth your time. While natural ability and creativity go a long way in the beauty industry, proper training is key. A good cosmetology school will cover a variety of important theories and skills to prepare you for a lifelong career where you’ll be expected to stay current with beauty trends. Here’s what you can expect to learn at a Corpus Christi beauty academy:
- Cosmetology Elements: An introduction to the cosmetology industry including history, career opportunities, life skills and communication
- Cosmetology Sciences: Anatomy & physiology, chemistry and electricity as they pertain to cosmetology
- Skin Care: Hair removal, facials and makeup
- Cosmetology Standards: Career preparation and business aspects of cosmetology including job search, marketing and salon ownership
- Hair Design: Principles of hair design including braiding, extensions, wigs and additions
- Hair Cutting: Four basic haircuts including the blunt, graduated, uniform and long-layered cuts
- Chemical Textures: Types and proper application of chemical textures
- Hair Coloring: Introduction to hair coloring including categories, application and corrective hair coloring
- Nail Care: Topics include client consultation, manicuring, pedicuring, nail tips, acrylic nails, gels, nail art, and other related topics
- Nuts & Bolts: Aspects of building a salon business
- Sassoon ABC Cutting Elements and Techniques: Elements of cutting The Sassoon Way including safety, sanitation and proper use of equipment
- Sassoon ABC Colouring Elements and Techniques: Skills necessary in understanding the dynamics of hair coloring including heavy emphasis on practical skills performed on live models
- State Board Prep: State board exam rules and regulations and concepts and applications required to pass state licensing exam
Cosmetology training typically includes a total of 1500 clock hours including around 500 hours learning theory and 1000 hours of practical application. Practical application is an important part of your training where you practice skills under the expert eyes of professional instructors.
Perhaps you’re thinking a beauty school that focuses only on cutting and coloring is a simple way to earn your credentials. Keep in mind that cosmetology school is essentially the same thing as beauty school. Beauty school with cosmetology courses results in a well-rounded education, giving you an edge when you enter the job market in Corpus Christi TX. When it comes to career training, it’s best to keep your options open and go forward with an open mind.