The simple truth is that there are many different professions which require a cosmetology license in the state of Texas. Though you may only think about hairstylists, there are many other things that you can do with a license.
There are also some things that you can do without going to school and getting a license. It is important that you know what you can do without a license and how much farther you can go with one! This will allow you to decide what you want for your future and whether or not the school is going to be in your future.
So, what can you do with and without a cosmetology license?
Here are some professions that don’t require a license
- Receptionist. You can work in a spa or beauty establishment as a receptionist without a license. Many cosmetologists start out working as a receptionist to see if they are interested in pursuing an education in cosmetology. Others are happy answering phones and scheduling appointments. They don’t need further schooling to be happy in their new career.
- Apprenticeship. You may also take on an apprenticeship at a beauty establishment while you are in cosmetology school, without having a license. This may help you get a heads-up in school because you will have even more hands-on training!
- Braid hair. If you just want to braid hair, you do not need a license.
- Own a salon. You can own a salon without a license. That being said, you won’t be able to shampoo or cut anyone’s hair. You can manage your group of hairdressers and nail technicians.
Here are some professions that do require a license
- Hair Stylist. You can shampoo, cut, and style hair with a cosmetology license. You may also perm and color people’s hair, giving people the chance to change their outlook with a new look.
- Makeup Artist. If you want to specialize in makeup, you will need a cosmetology license to practice in the state of Texas.
- Esthetician. Estheticians, sometimes known as aestheticians, need a cosmetology license (not a medical license) to perform skin treatments. This can include facials, chemical peels, waxes, and even certain body treatments. These people often work in a spa, though they may also work in a hair salon.
Choosing to change careers can be challenging. You may not be sure that you are ready to go to school to get your cosmetology license. If you don’t want to, you may want to start out as a receptionist or an apprenticeship to see if you want to further your career. You may decide that you want to get your license so that you can become a hairstylist, makeup artist, or even an esthetician. You may also be content working in a salon without doing hair or makeup.
Southern Careers Institute prides itself on the training that it provides. We provide fast, hands-on training for those who are looking for a new career. Whether you have been laid off or are just ready for a fresh start, don’t hesitate to contact us today to get started toward your goal of a cosmetology license.
This article was published on: 01/3/22 12:00 AM