Depending on your career path, it might work out better for you to get a certificate. Here are reasons why enrolling in certificate programs works.
Depending on the career path you want to take, it might work out better for you to get a certificate rather than a 4-year college degree. Certificate programs are a faster, less costly route to a rewarding job and lifestyle. They also help those who are already employed with career advancement.
A certificate offers the recognition that you are qualified to perform a job. It can help you get the promotion and the raise you want.
What Are Certificate Programs?
Certificate programs are training courses that prepare students to become certified in industry-specific trades. These are careers that require licensing and certification based on practical knowledge and hands-on experience. Jobs like medical assistant, pharmacy technician, electrical technician, computer support specialist, business accounting specialist, and medical billing and coding specialist all require certifications and or licenses before someone can work in that field in Texas.
Certificates are available in for medicine, technology, skilled trades, business, and cosmetology. Students spend time learning how to do jobs rather than focusing on theory and classical studies. By the end of the training program, graduates are ready to sit for certifications. The desired outcome is an entry-level job in the field.
Is a Certificate Program Worth It?
Certificate programs are worth it because you are job-ready in a fraction of the time it would take to earn a college degree. By the time of graduation, you are not only capable of successfully passing certification exams, you have the hands-on training to immediately begin work.
Most programs can be completed in less than 12 months and tuition costs are lower than traditional universities. Therefore, the amount of money a student owes after the program is complete is significantly less than for someone pursuing a college degree. This diminishes the burden of heavy debt just as you are beginning your career.
If you want a career where you can start earning money sooner, a certificate program like one of those available from Southern Careers Institute is a viable route.
Benefits of a Certificate Programs
The main benefits of enrolling in a certificate program as opposed to a college degree program include:
- Smaller classes. Students get personalized attention when they enroll in a certificate program as success is dependent on the passing of an exam. Hands-on training is a big part of the curriculum.
- Lower cost. Certificate programs are generally more cost-effective than college courses. Training periods are also shorter, keeping the price more reasonable.
- Job-tailored training. The courses taken in a certificate program are designed to prepare students to perform in specific roles. They learn how to do jobs that make them more valuable in a competitive employment environment.
- Getting into the workforce quicker. Because students in certificate programs only enroll in courses that focus on doing a job, they spend less time in the classroom and are prepared for the business world a lot faster.
A certificate program is a fast track to a rewarding and well-paying job. It makes good practical and economical sense.
What Is the Quickest Certification to Get?
Complete most programs in less than 12 months. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, healthcare is one of the most popular disciplines for certificate programs. The Certified Nurse Aide program at SCI has the quickest certification currently available. During a 5-week period, students receive training in basic nursing, personal care, and long-term care. They can then sit for the certified nurse assistant and CPR exams and are ready for work in a nursing care facility, rehabilitation center, or private care. This is a good career path for someone who likes helping people and wants to have a career in the medical field.
3-Month Certificate Programs
Complete the Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator program in 6-weeks. Skills such as backing and turning, hands-on driving, vehicle reporting, and safety procedures are taught. After classroom work and hands-on training, students are prepared to apply for the Class A CDL. Further, career opportunities may be found in both interstate and intrastate transportation as delivery drivers, tractor-trailer drivers, and bus drivers, to name a few.
Complete these programs in approximately six months:
- Administrative Assistant. Students are eligible for certification in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Computer Support Specialist. Certifications are available in CompTIA, IC3, NETWORK PRO, NETSIM, Microsoft Office, and Windows.
- Electrical Technician. Students prepare for entry-level work to begin earning the supervised training hours needed for certification. From there, they have the opportunity to advance to foreman electrician and master electrician.
- Welding. Students learn shielded metal arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, gas metal arc welding, and Gas Tungsten arc welding. Then, graduates of the program can sit for the National Center for Construction Education and Research Certificate (NCCER).
Several of the certificate programs at SCI require eight months or more of study. Programs such as Medical Assisting, Business Administration, HVAC, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, and Pharmacy Technician programs all offer advanced training and certifications.
For those interested in the pharmacy technician program, registration with the Texas Board of Pharmacy must happen before enrollment as required background checks can take some time to complete. HVAC technicians can become licensed after 48 months of practical experience under the supervision of a licensed air conditioning and refrigeration contractor. Medical billing and coding specialists are eligible for certifications in medical billing and coding, medical administration, and electronic health records. Indeed, they often have job opportunities that allow remote work.
Texas Certificate Courses and Programs
Southern Careers Institute offers certificate courses and programs online and at the Austin, San Antonio North, San Antonio South, Waco, Brownsville, Pharr, Harlingen, and Corpus Christi campuses. In fact, students are ready to sit for certification exams in 5-48 weeks.
Graduates get help with resume construction, job readiness training, and interviewing techniques. Call today at 1-833-SCI-TEXAS or contact us to begin preparing for your certification.
This article was published on: 06/23/20 5:23 PM
* SCI does not guarantee employment or a starting salary upon graduation, completion, or withdrawal from SCI. As an accredited post-secondary institution, SCI has various federal financial assistance programs available for students who qualify and are enrolled in SCI programs. This does not apply to seminar students.