If you are looking for the best path to improve administrative skills, you are not alone. There are over 3,700,000 administrative assistants in the United States, in addition to many people searching for a way to get their foot in the door.
Whether you are interested in becoming an administrative assistant or would like to sharpen the existing administrative skills on your resume, there is always room for improvement. With the many types of administrative roles available, it is important to know how to get the administration experience you need to prosper in an administrative capacity. Below is a look at the important role of an administrative professional and the single best step you can take to improve your administrative skills.
What Are Some Administrative Skills?
The path to becoming a top administrative professional begins with an understanding of the skills needed to excel in the workplace. Skills of an effective administrator go well beyond paperwork skills and handling phone calls. Today’s administrators are adept in technology, have compiling data skills, and possess a host of general administrative skills. Career Builder outlines six of the most highly desired administrative skills:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Document filing expertise
- Time management skills
- Excellent typing skills
- Proficiency in software programs
- Superb attention to detail
In addition to possessing these core skills, job candidates should be willing to learn administrative skills that are specific to the company where they wish to work. For example, maintaining calendars is an example of a skill required for an administrative assistant who works for an event planning agency while processing applications from job candidates is a skill requirement for one who works for a talent management agency.
How Do Administrative Assistants Improve Offices?
Administrative assistants are viewed by many as “the glue that holds an office together.” This image is well-founded and is based on the variety of ways they promote a smooth, streamlined work environment. QPS Employment Group outlines some of the many ways that administrative assistants improve office operations:
- Take care of day-to-day tasks such as sorting mail and answering the telephone
- Serve as a valuable resource to employees who have questions about office procedures
- Boost productivity by handling tasks that are delegated to them by leadership
- Serve as the initial point of contact for a company by greeting guests and directing inquiries
Based on their level of administrative experience, today’s executive assistants tackle job responsibilities that extend far beyond their standard administrative functions and responsibilities. For instance, they may plan key corporate events, help entertain top clients, and help with special projects. By handling these tasks, senior executives are able to devote more time to priorities such as new business development and new product launches.
How Do You Manage Administrative Work?
Learning how to organize administrative work is not always easy. Administrative professionals often wear many hats to keep an office functioning smoothly. Learning how to balance a wide variety of tasks is crucial to succeeding in your role.
The exact approach you take should reflect the administration department structure of your employer and your key job responsibilities outlined by your manager. However, there are some general steps you can take to help keep your administrative work organized:
- Maintain color-coded calendars for yourself, your boss, and the other members of your department
- Take a few minutes to clean and organize your desk before you leave the office each evening
- Set up a central location for contact information for key clients and vendors
- Do not be afraid to ask your manager for help or guidance with new or complex tasks
How Can Administrative Assistants Improve?
To improve as an administrative assistant, it is wise to consider some of the unique administrator qualities that today’s employers are seeking. In many cases, the difference between a good administrative professional and a bad one is the presence of soft skills or attributes that enable them to remain calm and professional in challenging situations. Here is a look at some of these qualities as outlined by talent staffing agencies:
- Diplomacy or the art of tactfully relaying unpleasant news
- The ability to handle pressure and deadlines enforced by leadership
- Scalability or the ability to grow alongside an organization
- A professional demeanor as exhibited by interactions with co-workers and clients
One of the many benefits of being an administrative assistant is the ability to improve by taking an admin skills course while also gaining valuable experience on the job. For example, you can learn how to fill in for other key positions such as receptionist and office manager. You can also find executive assistant tips for success by participating in one of the many free webinars offered by the American Society of Administrative Professionals.
The Best Path To Improved Skills
As described above, administrative assistants play a vital operational role by performing essential tasks and providing support to key departments. However, not all administrative professionals are created equal. Succeeding as an administrative assistant requires development of a specific skill set and a commitment to continually improving those skills.
The single best way to improve administrative skills is to complete a hands-on training program that will prepare you for certification in your field of choice. Southern Careers Institute offers a 27-week training program that will enable you to earn certification to embark upon a career in government, business, or the legal field. As a program participant, you can expect to enjoy the following benefits:
- First-hand experience in accounting, strategic planning, and executive assistance
- Skill training in the areas of communication, customer service, and scheduling
- A clear path to certification as an administrative assistant
- Guidance on how to improve efficiency at an office
- Eligibility for certification in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- An interactive approach to training that will maximize your enjoyment while learning
At Southern Careers Institute, we are here to help you embark upon an exciting career as an administrative professional. To realize your passion for change, we invite you to reach out to us today! Start exploring our program offerings. We look forward to arming you with the education and skills you need to succeed as an administrative assistant!
Blog Disclaimer: Information stated in this blog is for general information purposes only. SCITexas.edu not assume or guarantee income earning potential or salary expectations based on the programs offered at Southern Careers Institute.
This article was published on: 02/10/20 11:31 AM