Nursing assistants play a critical role in our healthcare system. In addition to delivering the essential care patients need, CNAs often have more interaction with patients than virtually any other type of healthcare provider. But while life as a CNA can be incredibly rewarding, it can also be physically and emotionally demanding. To show appreciation for America’s CNAs, a dedicated week of recognition was established. Below is a look at the key elements of this special week and some specific ways you can celebrate National Nursing Assistant Week.
The Beginning of National Nursing Assistant Week
National Nursing Assistant week is set to unfold June 18th through June 25th of 2020. The purpose of National CNA Appreciation Week is to recognize the hard work and dedication shown by America’s nursing assistants. The theme of this year’s week is, “Nursing Assistants: Creating a Community of Caring.”
2020 marks the 43rd year of celebration of National Nursing Assistants Week. While healthcare organizations and communities may differ a bit in the way they honor their CNAs, this week of recognition often includes the following:
- Formal recognition events held by healthcare organizations
- Fun educational programs dedicated to nursing assistants
- Special proclamations by mayors, community leaders, and healthcare officials
- Media coverage of programs and events
If you are wondering how to celebrate National Nursing Assistant Week, you can start by promoting the week and associated events to your friends and family. You can achieve this goal by using social media, flyers, and bulletins to spread the word about upcoming programs and ceremonies.
What Is Career Nursing Assistants Day?
Career Nursing Assistants Day is scheduled for June 18, 2020. It is a special day that honors nursing assistants who have served in their careers for five or more years. The National Network of Career Nursing Assistants sponsors this day. This organization includes nursing assistants who have served for decades.
As the first day of Nursing Assistants Week, Career Nursing Assistants Day is a day of recognition for the nation’s most dedicated nurse aides. Whether you are a nurse aide yourself or would like to recognize a hard-working CNA in your life, there are many ways you can celebrate this important day. Here are just a few:
- Recognize the dedicated nursing assistants you know on social media. Be sure to include #CareerNurseAssistantsDay in your post.
- Thank the longtime nursing assistants in your life for all they do with a card, note, or special treat.
- Join the National Honor Society for Nursing Assistants. You can join free of charge if you have at least 20 years of service as a nurse aide.
How Did CNA Week Start?
CNA week began 43 years ago as an organized way to show appreciation for the men and women in America who work as nursing assistants. The National Network of Career Nursing Assistants launched this day. This is also known as Career Nurse Assistants’ Programs, Inc.
With a strong focus on education and advocacy, the founders of CNA week are focused on delivering peer support and career development activities to CNAs, especially those who work tirelessly in long term care settings such as nursing homes.
A secondary goal of National Nursing Assistant Week is to help educate the public about the skills needed to be a successful CNA. Despite the valuable role CNAs play in our healthcare system, many people still do not fully understand or appreciate the commitment necessary to be a CNA.
Showing Appreciation to Nursing Assistants
Now that you know what National Nursing Assistant Week is all about, it is time to plan your celebration strategy. The good news is that you can show appreciation to the hard-working nursing assistants in your life without spending a penny. Here are five simple steps to help you show the CNAs around you how grateful you are for the hands-on care they provide every day:
- Step One: Mark your calendar with the dates and times of all the key events and programs scheduled.
- Step Two: Choose one or two events that really interest you and offer to volunteer your time. Then work on promoting that event.
- Step Three: Map out a social media plan to recognize CNAs. For instance, you can post inspiring stories or images of CNAs in action.
- Step Four: Surprise your favorite nursing assistants with their favorite treat, a bouquet of flowers, or a heartfelt message.
- Step Five: Don’t forget to tell all the CNAs in your life how grateful you are for everything they do.
If you are interested in going beyond the ideas listed above, you can explore some of the many CNA recognition gift options. You can purchase many for under $5 with bulk discounts available.
Are You A Career Nursing Assistant?
The path to becoming a Career Nursing Assistant begins with a comprehensive training program. Finding the best CNA program near you is the most important step you can take on in this process. With the proper training, you can develop the skills that will prepare you for a rewarding lifelong career as a CNA.
If you currently work as a nursing assistant or are thinking about being one, you can further your career with CNA training at Southern Careers Institute (SCI). When you enroll in one of SCI’s CNA programs, you can expect the following:
- Interactive classroom activities to help you practice your skills
- Lectures by experienced educators and successful CNAs
- Audio and video activities to help you master concepts
- Help with preparing for your CNA certification exam
Whether you have been a nursing assistant for decades or you are just embarking on a career as a CNA, you can become a Career Nursing Assistant. Furthering your education and training is a wonderful way to celebrate National Nursing Assistant Week. To discover why nursing assistants across Texas turn to SCI for their CNA programs, contact us to request enrollment information. The SCI team looks forward to helping you become a Career Nursing Assistant!
This article was published on: 06/18/20 9:00 AM