Southern Careers Institute online classes give you absolute flexibility about when and where you choose to study. Provided that you have an Internet connection, you can learn at home, at work, or in a coffee shop during the morning, evening, or night to fit your studies around your family and work life. Best of all, you’re not alone — you will be in contact with supportive instructors who provide you with help every step of the way, to ensure your success.
Medical Billing and Coding Online
We currently offer our medical billing and coding program fully online. This course will prepare you for a career in a medical setting, such as a hospital or physician’s office, or even for telecommuting work. Although medical billing and coding is one of the most competitive careers around, almost all of our students find work after graduation. What Will You Learn? Employers look for candidates who have a good understanding of industry-standard codes and practices and who are familiar with medical terminology, laws, and ethics. Our online course covers all of these areas, providing students with career skills badges to instantly communicate their knowledge. You can achieve badges in:
- ICD 9
- ICD 10
- Medical terminology
- Customer service
- MS Word
- Diseases of the body
- 10 Key
- Medical law and ethics
- Electronic health records
What Certifications Will You Achieve?
Employers also want their professionals to be fully certified. Our online course leads to not just one but four certifications to demonstrate your wide scope of knowledge in the medical billing field. After completing the program, you will be prepared to take examinations for:
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS). Offered through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), this is the most important certification for medical coders. Without it, you will struggle to find any sort of paid work. With the CBCS, you show potential employers that you are able to convert diagnoses, symptoms, and procedures into the correct codes and perform all the other primary tasks required by a medical coding specialist.
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA). This certification opens up more possibilities for your career. Once again offered through the NHA, the qualification demonstrates your ability to carry out routine administrative tasks to improve the efficiency in a doctor’s office or clinic.
- Electronic Health Records Specialist (EHRS). A final certification offered by the NHA for medical coders is the EHRS. By adding this to your other qualifications, you can increase your job opportunities, improve your earning capabilities, and enhance your productivity.
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS): Word. Employers need to know that you are able to use essential software without training. With this qualification, you prove that you are able to use Word to create attractive, well-formatted documents.
Our business accounting specialist program is also available for online study. Through the course, you will learn how to become an indispensable member of any company, carrying out bookkeeping tasks and managing computerized systems. What Certifications Will You Achieve? Our online course leads to a number certifications, exemplifying your wide range of skills and knowledge. After completing the program, you will be prepared to take examinations for:
- Certified Professional Bookkeeper (CPB). To work as a bookkeeper in Texas, you need to hold the CPB certification.
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS). Proficiency in of all the software in Microsoft Office will mean that you can take MOS certifications in Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Intuit Quickbooks. Show that your knowledge surpasses the Microsoft suite with a Quickbooks certification, another essential for any bookkeeper.
Right now, we just offer these two programs online, but more Southern Careers Institute online classes are coming soon.