A business manager is a person who oversees the activities and employees of a company or organization. The role of a business manager is to make sure an organization functions efficiently and remains on track to achieve financial goals.
Additionally, they identify opportunities for growth in new markets and ensure that employees comply with industry standards and regulations. Below is a look at the primary duties performed by today’s business managers and the key to preparing yourself for a successful career in business management.
What Are The Duties Of A Business Manager?
The path to becoming a business manager begins with a clear understanding of the job duties. While the job description and responsibilities of a business manager may vary according to a company’s organizational structure, the primary function of a business manager is to supervise the day-to-day operations for a company. Here is a look at some of the key duties in a typical business manager job summary:
- Supervise and lead company operations and employees
- Create business opportunities and expand into new markets
- Hire, train, and evaluate new employees
- Carry out performance evaluations on a periodic basis
- Prepare a list of skills for different jobs at a company
In addition to these duties, business managers need to report to top executives on a regular basis. A report may include a performance summary for key departments such as sales, production, and marketing. Reports may also include a corrective action plan to address deficiencies.
What Skills Do You Need To Be A Business Manager?
Today’s employment landscape is filled with many types of business managers. Each type requires a unique skill set that reflects industry demands. For example, the skills needed to be a personal business manager will differ slightly from those needed to be the manager of a small business.
Regardless of the type of manager you aspire to become, you will need to develop some basic business skills. By developing a core collection of business management skills, you can prime yourself for success in virtually any industry. Here are some of the top skills you can expect to find on a typical business management skills list:
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- Time management skills
- Financial management expertise
- Project management and planning
- The ability to delegate tasks to employees
Pursuing a degree in business management will provide an excellent foundation for most jobs. A solid business manager education will teach you how to be responsible for overseeing and supervising employees. It will also help you command a good business manager salary.
Why Is Business Management Important?
The importance of business management cannot be overstated. An excellent business manager can be the difference between a company exceeding their annual business goals or missing the mark in key areas. In fact, a top performing business manager can help a company rise to the top of an industry. Here are three key reasons why business management is so important for an organization:
- Maximize Productivity: Employees receive the direction they need to increase their productivity and maximize performance.
- Hire Top Talent: Business managers can prepare a list of skills for different jobs and ensure that companies hire top talent.
- Identify and Correct Weaknesses: Accomplished business managers find effective and affordable ways to address deficiencies.
By succeeding in these three areas, a business manager helps to create a positive workplace culture and improve employee retention. Most importantly, sound business management enables an organization to achieve shared goals.
What Can You Expect As A New Manager?
Embarking upon a new career as a business manager can be a bit intimidating. But if you are armed with the right manager qualifications, you will enjoy long-term employment and wages that are above the national average. In fact, today’s business managers earn an average salary of over $60,000.
In addition to a healthy salary, you can expect job security for the foreseeable future. With experts forecasting an annual growth of 9% in business management-related jobs, you can expect to find job opportunities within the healthcare industry, scientific and technical fields, the restaurant industry, and consulting firms.
As you begin your new career, you may wonder what are the functions of a business manager. The truth is that this will depend on your employer and the industry that you choose to work within. In general, you can expect to face a variety of business manager job tasks. From business manager banking to helping to establish a winning work culture, you can expect to wear many hats in your new role.
What Is The Key To Succeeding?
As outlined above, a business manager plays a key role in the success of an organization. The single best thing you can do to succeed as a business manager is to prime yourself for success by pursuing a degree in business management. Whether your goal is to advance to a sales manager position at a big company or to simply help employees improve their work for your current employer, a strong educational program will help you prosper.
The good news is that you can put yourself on the path to a rewarding career in business management by contacting the Southern Careers Institute campus closest to you. In addition to a variety of educational programs, we offer a Management Associates Online Program that enables you to gain the skills you need to succeed from the comfort of your own home. Here are some of the many benefits of choosing SCI:
- Earn an Associate Degree of Applied Science (AAS) in Management
- Prepare yourself for a career as an Office Manager, Facility Manager, Supervisor, and a variety of other positions
- Enjoy a flexible learning schedule that allows you to work while completing your education
Every day, SCI helps people of all ages realize their passion for change through a high quality education. To discover why students across Texas trust us to help them prepare to become successful business managers, reach out to us today. The business manager job outlook is bright and we look forward to helping you embark upon a new career!
Blog Disclaimer: Information stated in this blog is for general information purposes only. SCITexas.edu not assume or guarantee income earning potential or salary expectations based on the programs offered at Southern Careers Institute.
This article was published on: 02/12/20 3:17 PM
* SCI does not guarantee employment or a starting salary upon graduation, completion, or withdrawal from SCI. As an accredited post-secondary institution, SCI has various federal financial assistance programs available for students who qualify and are enrolled in SCI programs. This does not apply to seminar students.