Get the Job: Resume Builders For Diplomates of Online Medical Coding Classes
Once you have finished with your online medical coding classes, you need to show your employers that you are every bit as good as the competition. Here are a few things to add to your resume to show off your skills and knowledge.
Certifications prove that you know the essentials for the job. The more certifications you can achieve, the better. Here are the top ones for medical coding specialists:
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS). To pass the exam, you will need to demonstrate that you are able to locate documentation in patient records, assign the correct codes to diagnoses and procedures, submit claims for reimbursement, and help providers with best document practices.
- Electronic Health Records Specialist (EHRS). This certification focuses on privacy and security of patient information. You will need to audit patient records for compliance, utilize relevant clinical information in reports, carry out basic coding tasks, process Release of Information (ROI) requests, ensure that patient records are complete and collect information on patient demographics and insurance.
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA). This qualification allows you to work in medical offices completing administrative tasks. To gain the certification, you must be able to answer correspondence, use a computer system, keep patient information up to date, prepare records, and carry out other general office duties.
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS): Word. Finally, employers like to see that you are certified in MS Word and are capable of using all the features of the software. During the exam, you will be required to create and manage documents, insert and format objects, create tables and lists, apply references, and format text, paragraphs, and sections.
Employers want to see that you have some relevant experience. If you worked an externship, this is a huge bonus; however, other jobs can still contribute. Keep your descriptions short, particularly if you have held many positions in the past. Highlight the aspects of jobs that prepared you for a career as a medical coding specialist; for instance, using computers and software, meeting deadlines, a need for accuracy, respecting clients’ privacy, and conforming to regulations.
Employers use keyword searches to weed out mediocre resumes. To ensure that your resume is left in the pile, list the most essential skills needed for the job. You should tweak your resume for every employer to include requirements from individual job listings. Each copy should also mention the following:
- ICD 9
- ICD 10
- Diseases of the body
- Medical law and ethics
- Electronic health records
- MS Word
- 10 Key
- Customer service
- Medical terminology
You will be contending with many other candidates each time you apply for a job. Make sure that you are qualified and knowledgeable enough for a position by enrolling in online medical coding classes from an accredited school.