The 4 Most Military-Friendly Colleges in Harlingen TX
If you are a veteran, military spouse, or dependent, take advantage of your educational benefits by enrolling in one of the military-friendly colleges in Harlingen TX. From financial aid to special programs, these four schools are the best option for continuing your education.
1. University of Texas Pan America
The University of Texas Pan America (UTPA) has several programs for military personnel, consisting of waivers that allow nonresidents and out-of-state students to pay in-state tuition and exemptions that allow veterans and dependents enroll in programs without paying tuition and sometimes without paying fees. These include: Waivers
- Honorably Discharged, Separated or Retired Veterans Who Move to Texas
- Assigned to Duty in Texas
- After Assignment in Texas
- NATO Forces
- Spouse and Dependents Who Previously Lived in Texas
- Out-of-State Military: If Family Intent Is to Make Texas Home
- Exemption for Child of Deployed Member of the Armed Forces
- Children of U.S. Military Who Are Missing in Action or Prisoners of War
- Texas National Guard Tuition Assistance Program
- Exemptions for Texas Veterans and to Eligible Dependents
- Orphans of Texas Members of the U.S. Armed Forces of National Guard
2. Texas State Technical College
Those serving in the military may already be on track for completing a program at Texas State Technical College (TSTC) through the College Credit for Heroes program. You may also be able to receive a residency waiver if your home of record is Texas, use your GI Bill® benefits to pay for your studies, and gain other types of financial aid with a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 3. Southern Careers Institute Programs at Southern Careers Institute (SCI) are approved for VA funding, both for military personnel and their dependents. Plus, there’s another benefit of going to SCI — finance officers are available to help you with paperwork, expediting the process to enable you to begin your education sooner. SCI offers support with:
- Montgomery GI Bill®
- Post 9/11 GI Bill®
- Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
- Selective Reserve Option of MGIB
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program
4. University of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences
The University of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences (UCASTX) is now part of the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program (MyCAA), which means military spouses can receive up to $6,000 in financial assistance. To be eligible, you must be a spouse of a service member in active duty, including National Guard and Reserve Components, in a pay grade of E-1 to E-5, W-1, W-2, O-1, or O-2. In addition, you must be able to complete your program while your spouse is on Title 10 military orders. You cannot apply if you are in the armed forces yourself and currently on Title 10 orders. When deciding between these colleges in Harlingen TX, you need to consider more than just military benefits. Pick a school that offers practical training leading to your dream career, certifications most coveted by employers, and job support after graduation.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More
information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S.
government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.