Many students compare two colleges as they make their decision on where to attend. A specific list of pros and cons can help lay out the positive and negative aspects of each school. It gives you an objective look at many different aspects of your future education. Here’s a comparison of two schools in southern Texas that could be on your list.
STC-Texas Southmost College
Located in Brownsville, STC offers two-year degree programs and specialized job training in a variety of career fields. They are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- Credits transfer to four-year college
- Training programs aligned with local, state and national workforce demands
- Strong commitment to hands-on learning in a real world environment
- Only one campus location
- Limited financial aid grant options
- Students are responsible for figuring out which credits transfer to other colleges
- Career counseling is not available
SCI-Southern Careers Institute
With seven locations scattered throughout south Texas, as well as online degree program options, SCI is hard to match when it comes to proximity. They have created a tradition in career training with a star-studded reputation of quality for over 50 years. SCI prides itself on offering the credentials necessary to enter the job market and thrive upon graduation. SCI is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education.
- National and state recognized certifications
- Employer-recognized digital credentials
- Online platform to match employers with students
- Career services that continue before graduation and last long after
- Multiple locations and online classes
- Multiple financial aid options in the form of loans and grants
- Military Veteran benefits
- Flexible class schedules with day and night offerings
- Small classes with caring instructors
- Internship opportunities
- Programming limited to health care, business, computers, cosmetology, HVAC or welding
- Must provide W2 during admission process
- Students must read, write and speak English to enroll
Take a close look at each school before you make a final decision. Consider what is important to you. Maybe location is of the utmost importance because of an already hectic schedule. Perhaps you are going into a specialized career, like medical transcription, and need a school that offers courses in that curriculum. You’re well on your way to a successful future by checking out SCI and stc brownsville.